John Ledyard Chapter 5

Chapter 5 - The Life and Travels of John Ledyard by Jared Sparks

This week we pick up John’s story at Hawaii, just before Captain Cooks death and it ends with his return to England. There is a huge contrast to their first arrival in Hawaii and their second. I will reserve personal comments on this book until the end so not to shape any opinions. We may even do a live show and online chat for anyone who would like to participate when it is completed.

Note: There were several instances my curiosity peaked in this chapter on the known world and references to the names described. It is my intent to pull some screen shots as reference or to provide links. The David Rumsey Collection which is usual my primary source was down as I was compiling this so I went to my backup the University of Alabama (http://alabamamaps.ua.edu/historicalmaps/index.html) and referenced the map A New Map of the World with the Latest Discoveries, Boston: Thomas & Andrews, 1806; Engraved for Morse's Abridgement of Geography and London: Fisher, Son & Co., 1825.




Download this episode (right click and save)

0 comments: